"Decent, affordable housing should be a basic right for everybody in this country. The reason is simple: without stable shelter, everything else falls apart"
- Matthew Desmond
Housing News 🛠️
- June is National Homeownership Month - Read the White House's official Proclamation
- The US Averted One Housing Crisis But Another is in The Wings- Like the broader economy, the housing market is split on divergent tracks. Millions of households were financially unscathed but the pandemic has left millions of others struggling to make housing payments especially lower income households and people of color. New York Times
- Habitat for Humanity Uses 3D Printing Technology to Construct Affordable Housing in Arizona - By cutting construction times drastically and eliminating the need for manual labor, partners believe the technology could be a scalable solution amidst an acute affordable housing shortage in Arizona. 3D Printing Industry
- Lumber Prices See Biggest Drop in History After Historic Highs - Lumber futures posted their biggest drop Tuesday at $1,009.90 per thousand board feet, down 41% from the record of $1,711.20 in May. Before the pandemic, it traded in the range of $300 to $500 per thousand board feet. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
On our Radar 👀
- Amazon provides $100 million to build affordable housing near Sound Transit stations The Seattle Times
Fresh Nonprofit and Volunteering News 💞
- 2020 Charitable Giving Reflections and 2021 Forecasts: The long term downward trend in the overall number of donors was reversed in 2020, driven by large dollar donators who had also given in 2019. What does that mean for 2021? Likely a return to pre-pandemic giving patterns for human service focused nonprofits.
- Hope Post-Pandemic: Adults are invested in becoming involved in civic life post-pandemic, especially younger adults in Generation Z . Americans are most encouraged to participate in civic engagement for reasons related to personal fulfillment.
- Fundraising Strategy: How can your nonprofit reduce dependency on grants and build a strong individual giving program? Start small, test new tactics for engaging donors online, learn what motivates your donors, and give donors the recognition they want amongst other tactics.
- Volunteering as Re-Integration: Consider re-framing volunteering as the ultimate post pandemic re-integration activity: it benefits physical and mental health, provides personal fulfillment, and allows folks to feel like they are contributing to the recovery of their communities.