Volunteer management and engagement tools can be game-changing for nonprofit leaders as they look to supercharge their impact with limited time and resources. Navigating volunteer shift scheduling, tracking hours, and managing donations is tricky and there are a lot of solutions out there that vary across price, usability, and feature richness. Below, we’ve listed and reviewed the leading volunteer management software solutions to help you make the best choice for your nonprofit.
We of course believe Civic Champs is the most intuitive and best platform for seamless volunteer management and engagement. That being said, we also know there are more than a few solutions to consider. Keep scrolling to find a comprehensive list comparing the best volunteer management softwares in the digital universe.
In this article we have reviewed 25 different software solutions including Better Impact, Volgistics, Volunteer Hub, Volunteer Local, Get Connected by Galaxy Digital, Track It Forward, Wild Apricot, In It Live, Sign Up Genius, Volunteer Mark, Cervis, Mobilize, and Volunteer Scheduler Pro, Every Action, Submittable, Volunteer Match, LineUp, RosterFy, VoMe, Bloomerang, Breeze, SignUp.com, and Giving Way.
Software solution fast facts
With so many great options available, it can be difficult for nonprofits to determine which software solution will work best for their volunteer management needs.
Without including our own software, here’s a quick rundown of the top solutions in the following categories: pricing, usability, and customer support:
Cost-friendly software solutions
If your nonprofit organization is looking for the solutions with affordable pricing, your top three software solutions will include the following:
User-friendly software solutions
If your aim is to utilize software that will provide the most seamless experience for your volunteers, these three apps should be at the top of your list:
Software solutions with excellent customer support
If you are looking for software solutions that provide unparalleled customer support, these are going to be your top three options:
The categories above are your fast and quick guide to volunteer management solutions that might satisfy your most important criteria. Below we detail each platform including ratings on pricing, usability and customer support in addition to advantages and considerations.
Civic Champs is a volunteer management software that allows leaders to seamlessly track, manage, and engage volunteers. One its most unique features is the micro-donations, which make the right ask at the right time to maximize donations. Civic Champs offers a kiosk mode and dashboard, and is ideal to use for volunteer check-ins or events.
- Pricing: $25-$450/month depending on size ($$)
- Usability: extremely user friendly and intuitive, technology eliminates many time-consuming tasks (5 stars)
- Customer support: ability to schedule demos to understand how the platform works, and offers email, phone, and web support with dedicated customer success associates for every customer (5 stars)
Better Impact is a volunteer coordination software that helps with recruitment, onboarding, training, communications, scheduling and reporting. Some of its most unique features are online donations, donation receipts, and targeted emails. It also offers a basic CRM to track member details.
- Pricing: starts at $250/month for 50 volunteers, up to $4,300/month for 5,000 volunteers ($$$$)
- Usability: Easy to use, lacks highly intuitive interface (3 stars)
- Customer support: constant support through chat, phone, email (5 stars)
Advantages: All in one system across donations and volunteering highly customizable and easy to incorporate into organizations
Considerations: The set up process is time consuming and it can be challenging for volunteers to navigate the system in the beginning with limited training.
Volgistics is a comprehensive volunteer management application, with its core features including background screening, a volunteer portal and kiosk, group tracking, and document storage. It has served over 5,000 organizations and tracked over 6 million volunteers.
- Pricing: starts at $18/month for 50 volunteers, up to $2,000/month for 50,000 volunteers ($$)
- Usability: entirely web-based but user interface is confusing to navigate for volunteers especially, such as requiring pins that are hard to remember (2 stars)
- Customer support: video tutorials, live demonstrations, and online training (4 stars)
Advantages: Volgistics has an ample amount of features that allows multiple volunteer assignments to be open at once, and the automation minimizes manual control required
Considerations: The software requires continuous upgrading or deletion of archived volunteers, and the program can be taxing to learn at first.
Volunteer Hub highlights customer resource management integration, using Salesforce. It is unique because it is a volunteer management software that integrates all of Blackbaud’s CRMS such as The Raiser’s Edge and eTapestry. Other features include waiver tracking, group management, fundraising, and brand specific pages for event registrations.
- Pricing: $150/month for up to 1,000 volunteers, $260/month for up to 2,500 volunteers ($)
- Usability: simple and secure; most useful for CRM integration (3 stars)
- Customer support: offers tutorials, blogs, and various webinars (4 stars)
Advantages: The points system allows managers to easily have all the things they need in one place, such as waivers, event sign ups, and emails.
Volunteer Local offers simple, streamlined scheduling, registration, and communication for managing volunteers for various events. This platform also offers access to volunteer responses for admins on mobile (ex: t-shirts and phone numbers), on-site check in, social sharing, and collecting credit card information.
- Pricing: $600/year for 2 admin users and unlimited volunteers, $2,400/year for 10 admin users, $10,000/year for 50 admin users ($$)
- Usability: simple web-based tools for all organization sizes (3 stars)
- Customer support: ability to request demos and have unlimited phone/email support (4 stars)
Advantages: The self service portal is easy to use for volunteers, and organizations can organize large numbers in a short amount of time, customer service is attentive and helpful.
Considerations: The reporting and analytics offered could leave something to be desired depending on need, and the software lacks a good dashboard for managers to receive real time updates. The mobile app accommodate's volunteer use but not admin use.
Get Connected by Galaxy Digital
Galaxy Digital focuses on four broad categories: management, engagement, reporting, and communication. They started as a software for volunteer centers (where you can sign up for volunteering in different organizations), but has started to offer nonprofit specific tools as well. This software offers skills-based volunteerism and service larning management. It also incorporates email and text messaging, social media integration, and exportable reports.
- Pricing: starts from $1,000 a year ($$)
- Usability: interactive and easy to navigate database for users (4 stars)
- Customer support: descriptive onboarding process and helpful support folks to guide users through the platform (4 stars)
Advantages: Their volunteer impact pages allow automatic reports to be generated on volunteer leaderboards, and events are able to be shared through social media integrations and mass email very easily. Overall GD is best used as a community management platform for nonprofits.
Considerations: Their mobile admin functions are on the weaker side. The set-up for the system can be confusing with unclear guidance on how to best set up roles and settings for your agency.
Track It Forward
Track it forward is a time tracking software. Its unique features include event RSVPs, milestones, offline mode, conditional logic formatting, advanced verification, and multi organization aggregation.
- Pricing: For 100 volunteers, $12/month for basic tracking, $24/month for premium tracking, $36/month for advanced tracking ($)
- Usability: designed for instant logging through website or app, making it simple for volunteers and streamlined for administrators (4 stars)
- Customer support: detailed guides and videos, product updates, and contact support (3 stars)
Advantages: It essentially serves as a timesheet, but is digital so it is easy for the volunteer to track hours.
Considerations: This only focuses on tracking hours, so it is not conducive towards managing shifts, asking for donations, or serving other purposes managers may be looking for. The pricing is ideal for smaller organizations but tends to get expensive around 300 volunteers.
Wild Apricot is a powerful cloud software to help you automate and simplify membership tasks. It comes with a member database, website builder, payments, event management, and membership applications and renewals.
- Pricing: $48/month for 100 contacts, $190/month for 2,000 contacts, $720/month for 50,000 contacts ($$)
- Usability: easy to use features that are especially recommended for small organizations, or those that are not particularly tech savvy (4 stars)
- Customer support: along with a help center, there is mobile and email support offered to all users (3 stars)
Advantages: Allows high level membership management, and which makes it a good solution for organizations that have paid members in addition to volunteers
Considerations: Designed for member management and not volunteer management so it lacks volunteer specific features and may require workarounds to tailor membership features to support volunteers.
In It Live
InitLive offers volunteer management solutions and event staff solutions. It is a global platform used in 25+ countries, with many language settings. It also allows data to be shared with Salesforce to get a complete view of donors and volunteers.
- Pricing: $49/month for 100 volunteers, $99/month for 200 volunteers ($$$$). Pricing starts at the figures listed here.
- Usability: easy to manage multifaceted volunteer programs, such as with mobile document access and message broadcasting (4 stars)
- Customer support: free onboarding package that includes check-ins and support during business hours (5 stars)
Advantages: Reduces the amount of administrative work by allowing volunteers to schedule their own shifts.
Considerations: This one of the pricier solutions on our list. In order to sign up for shifts, you must utilize a desktop instead of just inputting it through a mobile device.
Sign Up Genius
Sign up Genius specializes in online sign in forms, serving a wide variety of groups. Included are a simple sign up creation, powerful group messaging, and easy payment and donation tools. While this application is great for forms, it is not as conducive towards tracking hours and managing data.
- Pricing: ranges from $8.99/month to $44.99/month depending on the plan ($)
- Usability: choose from hundreds of custom themes, access sign ups from any device, and calendar sync to add items to your digital calendars (5 stars)
- Customer support: video tutorials and online FAQs, email support, and detailed articles with event planning tips (3 stars)
Advantages: extremely easy to set up, and there are an abundance of different designs that can be customized to your personal event
Considerations: this software only focuses on the sign-up process, and volunteer managers that are looking for a more holistic software may need to look elsewhere.
Volunteer Mark is a mobile application that helps managers run an efficient volunteer program through simplifying communication, recruiting, and managing. They offer a clear and concise class management dashboard for events and volunteers, as well as providing volunteers with specific filters to find volunteer opportunities. Volunteer Mark is very data driven, and provides lots of valuable statistics to the organization.
- Pricing: free for up to 50 volunteers, $34/month to $125/month for unlimited volunteers ($$)
- Usability: easy for nonprofit leaders to schedule, report, and communicate, while volunteers can easily find opportunities and record hours (3 stars)
- Customer support: detailed FAQ list on their website, as well as a video library with many tutorials (3 stars)
Advantages: volunteer oriented, as volunteers themselves can sign up for shifts and track their hours reducing the work of managers
Considerations: it is hard to sync if organizations have other softwares implemented, and there is difficulty in reporting functions such as removing multiple sign-ups
CERVIS is a volunteer management software that enables online scheduling, automatic reminders, and helpful training and support. It also offers external customer resource integration and custom data reports.
- Pricing: $300/year for the basic plan, $1,200 for standard, $1,800 for premier ($$)
- Usability: a database and interface that streamlines and simplifies the volunteer program for staff and volunteers but struggles to stand out compared to competitors (2 stars)
- Customer support: personalized one-on-one training and questions handled by customer support experts (4 stars)
Advantages: the data features are up-to-date, and opportunities are easy to find while the registration is quick and seamless
Considerations: the customization features and the user interface are lacking, and the reporting is difficult for larger organizations with thousands of volunteers
Mobilize offers a crash course for volunteer management and top strategies through the extensive blog on its platform. It also recruits volunteers (offers peer to peer recruitment features), helps people discover events, and maximizes donation givings.
- Pricing: starts at $200/month ($$$$)
- Usability: streamlined sign up process and optimized event search and discovery that allows users to easily find volunteer opportunities (3 stars)
- Customer support: constant email support and reminders, and easy to keep in contact with volunteers through the sign-up process (3 stars)
Advantages: the platform is very collaborative, and users can easily share resources and ask questions amongst each other
Considerations: it tends to be advocacy focused, and is best for political campaigns rather than general volunteer focused organizations
Volunteer Scheduler Pro
Volunteer Scheduler Pro is a software with a companion mobile app that offers flexible scheduling, automatic reminders, tiered access, custom enrollments, and reports. Overall, it serves to schedule, manage, and engage volunteers.
- Pricing: $25-40/month for 100 volunteers, $50-80/month for 300 volunteers ($$)
- Usability: the mobile app allows volunteers to easily view schedules, request substitutes, and update availability from anywhere (5 stars)
- Customer support: extensive set up videos and a quick start guide for users to understand the features of the platform (3 stars)
Advantages: there are multiple options for volunteer autonomy, and volunteers can manage their own hours and schedules
Considerations: a lot of the features require a desktop rather than the app, so that creates difficulty when changing schedules or readjusting shifts
Every Action is software designed to help recruit and retain volunteers, simplify the shift sign up process, and improve volunteer communication.
- Pricing: $109/month for a basic plan with unlimited volunteers ($$$)
- Usability: this app allows volunteers to complete and share sign-up forms, use integrated fundraising forms, and manage all of their events in one convenient location (4 stars)
- Customer support: email support, help desk, live chat, and phone support are available for users, and there is also an extensive knowledge base (5 stars)
Advantages: There are many intuitive features that will encourage volunteers to interact with the app, sign up for events, donate money, and accurately report hours.
Considerations: Many of the features of this software are not available on mobile platforms.
Submittable is software designed for large corporations looking to expand their social impact programs, and it includes an integrated corporate volunteering platform.
- Pricing: $10,000/year for an enterprise plan ($$$$$)
- Usability: in-app bulk messaging, on-demand reports, and easy event registration make this app useful for volunteers and volunteer managers alike (4 stars)
- Customer support: a full support team is available to help handle any IT issues (3 stars)
Advantages: This software is scalable, and it has the handle corporate sized accounts, making it great for large nonprofit organizations.
Considerations: This software is pricey, especially considering that it doesn’t offer many unique features beyond what other software solutions provide for a fraction of the cost.
Volunteer Match is known for helping match prospective volunteers to relevant volunteer opportunities in their local communities, but it also has an open network software solution for nonprofits.
- Pricing: $5000/year for a basic plan for up to 5,000 users, 19,500/year for premium YourMatch account ($$$$)
- Usability: This software makes creating events, tracking hours, and showcasing volunteer opportunities a breeze (4 stars)
- Customer support: users have access to a helpline and a customer support email line (2 stars)
Advantages: This software is useful for attracting new volunteers, placing existing volunteers with volunteer opportunities, and tracking volunteer hours.
Considerations: Volunteer Match doesn’t have many features outside of ones for volunteer recruitment and placement, so it is not the best value for nonprofits looking for software with volunteer management solutions.
Lineup is a volunteer management platform that helps streamline and automate the volunteer management process with volunteer event management tools, volunteer scheduling tools, and volunteer communication software.
- Pricing: $450/month for their standard plan with up to 500 profiles ($$$$)
- Usability: Lineup features searchable databases, volunteer profile evaluations, volunteer team customization, and other automated features that make this software easy to use (5 stars)
- Customer support: there are live training options as well as email support, a help desk, and an extensive knowledge base (4 stars)
Advantages: This app truly automates the volunteer management process, and it offers more features than most of the volunteer management software solutions available on the market.
Considerations: The initial 2-hour onboarding process is not as thorough or intuitive as some users would expect.
Rosterfy is a volunteer management system that simplifies scheduling, maximizes engagement, and improves volunteer tracking.
- Pricing: $5,000/year for a core account with up to 250 volunteers and 2+ admins ($$$$)
- Usability: flexible software that includes third party integrations and an intuitive interface (4 stars)
- Customer support: 24/7 live rep, FAQ section, forums for users to ask questions, as well as phone and email support (5 stars)
Advantages: This is one of the more user-friendly volunteer management platforms available, and Rosterfy consistently releases new features and updates.
Considerations: This app does not allow users to share reports.
VoMe Volunteer is an all-in-one volunteer management platform with recruitment and screening tools, advanced scheduling features, volunteer hour tracking, and a volunteer management database.
- Pricing: Free basic plan and $30/month for a pro plan ($)
- Usability: integrated scheduling, chatrooms, and reporting tools that are easy to use and share (4 stars)
- Customer support: 24/7 live rep, FAQ and forums, as well as phone and email support (5 stars)
Advantages: This software allows for mass assignments, Google Sheet integration, and automated hour tracking, helping streamline the volunteer management process.
Considerations: Some of the software features are not available on the mobile app.
Bloomerang is donor management software that includes features to help nonprofits more efficiently recruit and manage volunteers as well.
- Pricing: $99/month for 250 users, 5,000 emails/month, and optional phone support (for $100 more). $599/month for 50,000+ users, 200,000 emails/month, and 50 GB of file storage ($$)
- Usability: intuitive platform that can integrate with third party platforms (4 stars)
- Customer support: free email and chat support, but phone support requires additional payment (2 stars)
Advantages: This software is scalable, and it is capable of handling over 50,000 users with ease, making it a good solution for quick-growing nonprofits.
Considerations: Many features and support options are only available for an additional cost.
Breeze is volunteer coordination software geared toward churches that want to mobilize their volunteers to better reach their goals.
- Pricing: $67/month for unlimited users, all software features, and use of a mobile app ($$)
- Usability: intuitive platform and access to an import team that will transfer any information from an existing system over to this software solution for free (4 stars)
- Customer support: free phone and email support (3 stars)
Advantages: This software offers free upgrades, free data transfer, and positive customer service experiences for users.
Considerations: This software is designed for churches, so it includes more church management software features than volunteer management features. Some of the features are also a little outdated compared to other software solutions.
SignUp.com helps make volunteer sign up, scheduling, and mobilization simple for nonprofits.
- Pricing: Free basic plan, $9.99/month for starter plan with unlimited group pages, $49.99/month for max plan with unlimited group pages and 15 assistant organizers ($)
- Usability: this platform makes it easy for any to view, edit, and schedule volunteers for shifts without any complicated steps or registration processes (5 stars)
- Customer support: free email support for all users, coaching calls and priority email for paid users (3 stars)
Advantages: This software is intuitive, and it is great for volunteers with any amount of experience using volunteer software.
Considerations: This platform does not offer many features beyond volunteer scheduling and volunteer shift management. It is also not scalable, so it is best for smaller nonprofits only.
GivingWay is a fundraising platform that helps recruit volunteers and convert volunteers into donors.
- Pricing: Free basic plan with 7% platform fee for donations ($$)
- Usability: cloud-based platform that is able to integrate with third party platforms and accept a variety of payments with ease (4 stars)
- Customer support: free email, chat, and phone support (4 stars)
Advantages: This software is easy to use and makes it easy for nonprofits to increase their fundraising efforts and help their volunteers become donors.
Considerations: Most of the features included with this software are for fundraising efforts rather than volunteer management efforts.